After weeks of negotiating behind closed doors, one provision in the masked Democrat health care plan has been revealed. And now, we can see why it was done in secret — Pelosi, Reid and Obama intended all along to include a public option, and they wanted to keep Americans in the dark. Plain and simple, this is a government takeover of our health care system. And we know that the plan is to have the federal government pay for abortions.
· The Hyde Amendment will not apply to this health care plan.
· Since all other federal programs (Medicare, Medicaid, SCHIP and the Federal Employees Benefit Health Plan) explicitly exclude abortion, this plan is a drastic shift in public policy.
· The Capps Amendment, which includes a public option plan, requires at least one plan to cover abortion. Since the federal government funds the public plans, there would be direct funding of abortions. While the Democrat leadership suggests that “private funds” would be used, the Congressional Research Service has clearly stated that the government does not have any “private funds.”
Please call the following Senators who have previously made statements against the public option. Ask them to oppose any health care plan that includes the public option:
1. Evan Bayh (D-Indiana) - 202-224-5623
2. Max Baucus (D-Montana) - 202-224-2651
3. Bill Nelson (D-Florida) - 202-224-5274
4. Tom Carper (D-Delaware) - 202-224-2441
5. Joseph Lieberman (I-Connecticut) - 202-224-4041
6. Kent Conrad (D-South Dakota) - 202-224-2043
7. Blanche Lincoln (D-Arkansas) - 202-224-4843
8. Mark Warner (D-Virginia) - 202-224-2023
9. Byron Dorgan (D-) - 202-224-2551
10. Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska) - 202-224-6551
To take further action, visit our archives.